Faculty & Staff  |  Current Students

Online | News | Calendar | Directory | Library | Give


Financing your Education - Grants

Grants are called gift aid because they do not have to be repaid. Sources of grants include federal, state, private and institutional funds. Most grants are based on financial need, so students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. With the exception of the Alumni Grant, students are considered after submitting the FAFSA and informed about grant awards in the financial aid notification from Point Park.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant program provides assistance to students who demonstrate financial need according to economic criteria and requirements established by the federal government. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned bachelor's degrees or professional degrees. Students may be eligible for full-time, three-quarter time, half-time, or less than half-time credit load. Pell Grant assistance may be limited for less than half-time study.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a federal need-based grant reserved for undergraduate students with the lowest expected family contributions who are also eligible for the Federal Pell Grant. Students are considered based on the FAFSA and meeting the annual deadline to submit the FAFSA.

Pennsylvania State Grant

The Pennsylvania State Grant is a resource available to state residents who meet eligibility requirements and the application deadline (May 1 for Fall start). Students are eligible to receive either full-time (12+ credits) or part-time (6-11credits) awards for the equivalent of four full-time semesters. Part-time students who receive 100% corporate reimbursement have limited eligibility for the Pennsylvania State Grant.

To apply for a State Grant when you complete the FAFSA

You can complete the Pennsylvania State Grant Form online directly from your FAFSA confirmation page. Look for the link that reads "Optional Feature—Start your state application—Click here if you want to apply for Pennsylvania state-based financial aid."

To apply for a State Grant after you've completed the FAFSA

If you've already submitted your FAFSA online and missed the direct link, you may need to wait 24–48 hours before you can complete the State Grant Form online. You will receive an email directing you to the American Education Services website to complete the State Grant Form.

Most renewal students do not have to complete the State Grant Form. For more information, visit the PHEAA website. Out-of-state students may be eligible for similar grants from their states. Students should check with their appropriate state agency.

Point Park University Grant

All students who complete FAFSA are considered for the Point Park University Grant. The maximum award can be up to $10,000 per academic year. The award and the amount of the award are determined based upon the following:

  • Demonstrated financial need
  • Level of financial need and available funds

Point Park Alumni Grant

The Alumni Grant provides a credit discount on most on-campus courses at Point Park for eligible graduates.  An $80 per credit discount is available for graduate courses and a $30 per credit discount is available for undergraduate courses. It is the responsibility of the alumnus to request this discount prior to starting course work.

Point Park Part-Time Grant

Point Park University offers grants to part-time students who show financial need beyond that which other forms of gift aid assistance can cover. The amount of the grant is determined based on the student's financial need and enrollment status.

Part-time students taking 6-8 credits can receive up to $500 per semester; 9-11 credits can receive up to $750 per semester; 12+ credits can receive up to $750 per semester. These grants are available in fall, spring, and summer terms.

Students are considered for this assistance after filing the FAFSA. Students who receive employer reimbursement are NOT eligible for Part-time Grants.

Community College Grant

Point Park University has established a transfer grant program for students from:

  • Community College of Allegheny County
  • Community College of Beaver County
  • Butler County Community College
  • Westmoreland County Community College

Community College Grants are available to students who have earned an associate degrees or 60 transferable credits and want to continue their education at Point Park University.  Eligible transfer students accepted to Point Park on a part-time basis will receive $90 per credit until completion of 60 credits. Students receiving Community College Grants may also be eligible for other merit-based and need-based financial aid. Students who receive corporate reimbursement are not eligible for the Community College Grant.

Graduate Student Grants

Point Park offers graduate students the opportunity to be considered for Graduate Grants. Up to $600 per term is available for graduate students with financial need who are taking 9-12 credits. Up to $300 per term is available for graduate students with financial need who are taking 6-8 credits per term. Students must complete the FAFSA for consideration.


Point Park's financial services professionals are here to help. Contact us.