Faculty & Staff  |  Current Students

Online | News | Calendar | Directory | Library | Give

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to your questions

Check below for answers to the most frequently asked questions we receive about veterans benefits.  If you need additional information, please contact Deb Bateman, Point Park's veterans benefits coordinator, at 412-392-3433 or dbateman@pointpark.edu

Q. Do I need to submit a deposit if am eligible for veterans benefits? 

Veteran students who qualify for 100% tuition assistance and in some cases those who qualify for less than 100% assistance do not have to submit a deposit.  Qualified students may contact the Veterans Services Office to have the deposit waived

Q. Why did I get a late fee? 

Late fees are a monthly fee that is posted to a student’s account if an outstanding balance is present after all sources of aid are verified.  If you believe you have received a late fee in error, please contact the Student Accounts Office and/or the Veterans Services Office. 

Q. Do I have to fill out the benefits card every semester?

Yes.  Every student who wishes to receive veteran’s education benefits must complete a benefits card every semester for which he or she is enrolled.

Q. What happens if I change my schedule? 

Schedule changes of any kind are to be reported to the Veterans Services Office immediately so that correct information is reported for certification.

Q. Should I fill out a FAFSA if I qualify for 100% VA benefits? 

Yes. Veterans often qualify for additional aid even if they are eligible at the 100% rate.  Completing the FAFSA does not mean you have applied for student loans.

Q. Do you participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program? 

Yes, we do.  Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Q. Do I have to pay an application fee?

No. The application fee is waived for our veteran applicants.

Q. How do I make sure that my enrollment is certified in a timely manner? 

The sooner you submit your benefits form, the sooner your enrollment will be certified, within the VA guidelines.  This can be done through the benefits form.

Q.How can I contact the VA?

The number to reach a VA representative is 1-888-GIBILL.  Calling the VA may result in long hold times, especially in peak weeks/months.  You may have better results with “Submit a Question,” which can be done on the VA website.

Q. What happened to my merit award?

The merit award is subtracted prior to reporting your tuition and fees to the VA.  Not only does this adhere to VA regulations, it will also allow your annual funding to extend further through the year.

Q. Who can I contact if I have a problem?

You can always contact Deb Bateman, Point Park's director of veterans services, at dbatemen@pointpark.edu or 412-392-3433.  If she can’t assist you she will get you in touch with someone who can.  

Q. What happens if I withdrawal or fail a class?

An assigned “W” (withdrawal) for a class must be reported to the VA as a “non-punitive grade.” The VA may ask that a portion or all of your BAH/stipend be returned.  Failing grades are not reported. However, if failing grades result in you being placed on academic probation, it will be reported to the VA.

Q. What happens if I am deployed while enrolled?

Point Park has policies in place that allow for options if deployed. Please see our Veterans Resources page.

Q. Why is my monthly BAH different?

BAH amounts are determined by the VA using a formula that takes into account the number of days per month you are in class, the length of the term or sub term, and the type of class ( distance ed etc). Any changes to any of the above could result in a change in the amount of the monthly BAH.  Also, if a semester/term ends at the beginning of a month, and a new semester/term begins during that same month, two checks may be issued for that month.